Saturday, May 17, 2008

In which I actually finish something!

Miracle of miracles, I have an actual finished object. I'm not sure what got into me, but in the middle of the night last night I realized that I really needed to finish my Hedera socks. And here they are, all grafted and bound off and the ends woven in and everything. It has been a long time since I've actually finished something, rather than coming close to finishing it and then putting it aside for later. Here is a picture of my totally-finished Hedera socks.



(Erm, that photo is shot from a very weird angle. Also, that's my awesome new rug from IKEA, and if you don't like it, then you are wrong. All rugs should be festooned with pictures of dolphins. My awesome new rug also has pictures of a castle, a hotel, a sports stadium, an igloo, and assorted other random buildings. What's not to like?)

I'm still working on my mom's chevron socks, but in the meantime I've decided I'm also going to do some experimenting with gauge. In order to finish the Hederas, I had to go back to throwing, since my Continental gauge is way too loose to get away with knitting socks on 1s, which is what I started these guys on back when I was an English knitter. I definitely prefer knitting Continental to English, though, so I'm going to see if I can't figure out how to make my Continental gauge a little tighter. I'm going to do that baby Jayne hat that I've been talking about, and I'm going to do it on 6s or 7s. I'm going to make a conscious effort to knit more tightly, knit really slowly and deliberately, and see if I can do it. I don't mind being a loose knitter. I'm completely fine with knitting worsted on 6s. But I would prefer not to knit worsted on 3s, just because that has unfortunate implications for sock knitting. I'm still a little loose on 000s, and it is not that easy to find 0000s.

No comments: