Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Actual Knitting-related content

I'm going to take a brief break from the Green Tea Raglan while I lick my sad gauge-related wounds. I think I have come to terms with my gauge issues. I'm just a crazy loose knitter. I need to admit that and stop fudging my gauge because I think that I can't possibly really need to knit worsted on 3s. I just do, in fact, need to knit worsted on 3s. There are worse things to be than the world's loosest knitter. I could be a kleptomaniac. I'll deal with it.

So that comes to my actual knitting. I am knitting a pair of socks for my mother. They're in light fingering weight Merino, and I am knitting them on size 000 DPNs. Yup, you got that right. I couldn't even enter that into the project data on Ravelry, because they don't have 000s on the pulldown menu. Sadly, my camera is on the fritz, so here are the best pictures I could get.


That's the yarn. It's Mad for Merino sock yarn from Knitting Like Crazy in their colorway "Sweet Dreams." I got it at Peggy's Strands of Heaven, a super nice LYS way the hell out in the Western Chicago suburbs. PSoH seems not to have a lot of online presence, and I didn't have high hopes when M. and I went there. But it's really a nice place, run by nice people, full of nice yarn. I recommend it if you're ever in the way-distant Western Chicago suburbs.

And here are the very beginnings of my socks:


That's a terrible picture. I need to figure out what's going on with my camera. At any rate, the pattern is the Chevron Lace Socks from Getting Started Knitting Socks. It's a really simple lace pattern that can be done in front of the television.

These are supposed to be my mom's Mother's Day gift. I don't know whether they will really be that. I love the yarn, because it's all variegated and pretty, but it's not really her colors. I may finish these socks, keep them for myself or give them to someone else, and make some other socks in bolder colors for my mom. I'm eying Lorna's Laces in Tahoe.

No comments: